No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Country house, early C18, incorporating earlier Tudor building, outbuildings and walled garden. Finely coursed ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and Swithland slate roofs. 2 storeyed with attics. A tablet in the church records that Reverend Henry Palmer, d. 1856, extensively restored the house, and so presumably much of the interior work is his. Two rooms have very richly worked plaster panelled ceilings, probably executed by Italian craftsmen.
Exton Park is run as a traditional country estate and has the remains of an extensive deer park and woodland, as well as gardens around the house. The park was landscaped in the 18th century and also contains 19th-century features, including the ruins of the original Tudor mansion.
Burley on the Hill has the remains of 17th- and 18th-century formal landscaping around the house and in the parkland and woodland, including a 17th-century avenue and bowling green. Humphry Repton produced a Red Book for the estate in the late 18th century. The site is now in multiple private ownership and the house has been converted to apartments. The walled kitchen garden is now a private residence called Tower House.