Wigston Peace Memorial Park features a bowling green, sensory garden, sports courts, oak peace sculpture and a pavilion. The sensory garden has raised beds and a rill with fountains.
- Brief History
The land was bought and laid out in 1921, the funds being raised by public subscription.
In 1998 The Heritage Lottery Fund approved a grant of 75% of the £786,000 cost of restoring and improving the park over 4 years, in order that future generations may continue to enjoy it as a special place and a memorial to peace.
By 2002 the total restoration of the park was completed. A new pavilion replaced the 1978 building and is fully available to serve all community groups, including users of the sports courts and the bowling green.
The opening and canopy to the left of this display is open for use by local bands. Within yards of the park, the rich local heritage of Wigston Magna remains, for the keen observer to unravel - the architecture, the street pattern, the Lanes and the field pattern, the topography, vegetation, old farm buildings, framework knitters buildings, hosiery factories, street and shop names.
Image © Copyright Mat Fascione