Beaumanor Hall is a Victorian country house located in Woodhouse, Leicestershire. Set in 34 acres of idyllic countryside, Beaumanor has been run by Leicestershire County Council since the 1970’s and offers a whole range of facilities
- Brief History
Beaumanor Hall has a rich and varied history. Built between 1842 and 1854 by architect William Railton for the Herrick family, it remained in their possession until World War II when the estate was requisitioned by the War Office. Throughout the war the Hall was used as a secret listening station to intercept encrypted enemy signals. The Hall was bought by Leicestershire County Council in 1974 for use as an education and conference centre.
- Walled Kitchen Garden
The WKG was created in 1846-1847.
The walled kitchen garden lay about half a mile south east of Beaumanor Hall on the opposite side of the public road. It covered two acres and was enclosed by a brick wall varying in height from 12 to 18 feet.
There were slips of land 50’ wide on the South and East sides, bounded by a ha-ha which was surmounted by a holly hedge 10’ high.
The walled kitchen garden no longer exists. The land has been used for a modern housing development.
See our full research report on the Walled Kitchen Garden here
Beaumanor Hall, Woodhouse
- Access & Directions
Open by appointment for weddings and corporate events, also for educational purposes.