The Memorial Field was established in 1951 as a memorial to the ex-school boys of Ashby Grammar School who had fallen in the World Wars. There is a bronze plaque on a boulder on the edge of the field which commemorates their sacrifice. The site is recorded on the Imperial War Museum register of war memorials. The opening of the field in 1851 was celebrated by a rugby match by the Leicester Rugby Club and a celebration dinner at the Royal Hotel.
- Brief History
All of this land was originally part of the castle grounds and can be seen on the 1735 map of ‘The lands of Packington Manor’. It would have formed part of the extensive hunting grounds of the Castle on which many have now been built on. There is a clear walkway going through this land shown on the map which enabled castle residents to access the fishponds on the now Bullens Field and Bath Grounds.
Ashby de la Zouch Neighbourhood Plan 2011-2031 Local Green Spaces – Supporting Evidence
Parks & Gardens Database Ashby Grammar School Playing Field